The Last Meow

The Last Meow is dedicated to all the pets who died or became seriously ill due to the Menu Foods Pet Food Recall, and the fur siblings they left behind.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Whiskers' Last Days

It's really hard for me to write about our last week with Whiskers. Some things just stick in your head though. Like how the veterinarian and her staff commented on how sweet Whiskers was. They said most of the sick pets they saw were grouchy because they felt bad, but Whiskers was his same sweet loving self. How every time we dropped by the veterinarian's to visit he acted happy to see us and made the effort to get up and greet us, even though he felt miserable.

Monday, March 5, 2007 we took Whiskers to the veterinarian for his annual shots and check up. Other then a seasonal allergy he was fine. The veterinarian prescribed an antihistamine for him (that he had taken before). Monday night after eating Special Kitty Pouch Cat Food he seemed to feel bad, but I put it down to his getting his shots. By Wednesday his runny nose was worse and he wasn't eating so we took him back to the veterinarian. The veterinarian diagnosed an upper respiratory infection and kept him overnight since I was concerned with his not eating. At the time the veterinarian put the lack of appetite down to his runny nose, and gave him fluids intravenously. I was asked to bring his favourite food up there and of course I brought the Special Kitty Pouch Cat Food. We were able to bring him home Thursday afternoon. Thursday afternoon was the last time he drank any water. Thursday night he was miserable couldn't get comfortable. Hubby slept on the floor with him part of the night. Friday morning he went to his water bowl and slapped at the water splashing it all over the place but not drinking. As soon as the veterinarian was in we took him back. She did a kidney function test and kept him there on fluids and a heating pad. She called before lunch to tell us that he had lost 75% of his kidney function and recommended putting him to sleep. We held a family conference where we decided that was the best thing to do as he couldn't get better and we would only be prolonging his suffering, if we didn't. That afternoon we all went up there and petted him and told him how much he was loved. He died in our arms, March 9th, 2007.

We buried him down by the pond and created the Whiskers Butterfly Garden around his grave. I miss my Whiskers and I want him back.

No comments: